Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Lighting And Our Health


Too much light is said to be unhealthy. It does not only cause fatigue but it also cause eye strain and disrupts our sleeping pattern. I understand the lighting should be bright to keep the employees awake and active during their shifts especially those who are working on a night shift or graveyard shift. I know, because I have been sleeping like a vampire during those years sleeping during the day and working during the night.


I have to cover the windows with thick blankets keep the natural light from escaping and turn on the 21 inched star shaped ceiling light to give the room a night effect. While my friends and fellow co-workers would cover their windows with pillows or wear a sleeping eye cover or eye mask. While others have made drastic changes to their bedroom by covering the walls and windows with black curtains. We have also become dependent to sleeping pills or antihistamines which our good company doctors prescribed to help us sleep. I prefer antihistamines though, because I also have allergies. There was a point in time where one tablet cannot knock me down. I have to take one and a half tablet of antihistamines to help me fall as sleep. And after four years and four months of working like a vampire I decided to quit. However, sleeping normally is still a problem up to this day.


Sleeping is a necessity. We need enough sleep to be productive in our work. It is important for companies or business owners to ensure the health and safety of their employees by providing proper ventilation and follow proper lighting safety guidelines set by Industrial Accident Prevention Association or IAPA. Moreover, they should also provide a clean environment for their employees. These things are just small stuffs but it will greatly help improve the productivity of the employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment