Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gadget Addiction

 

Whenever someone ask me what are the things I couldn't live without I would always answer my e-books, laptop and phone. The choices I made used to make me feel like a geek but I know for a fact that I would rather die informed, entertained and educated rather than well-fed and bored. The truth is I am one of those people who are addicted to gadgets and technology. 


It is quite alarming when you would rather spend more time in front of your laptop and your other electronic devices than spend it with your family and friends. When you start communicating with your family, friends or love ones using your electronic gadgets when in fact you are just in the same place is a sign that there is already a problem. Such behavior does not only bring worry to your friends and love ones but to your family as well. Sure, you are still communicating with them but isn't unusual that you prefer communicating using your gadgets rather than just talk and laugh with them face to face? If you are showing this kind of symptoms stop. It is hard to break the habit especially when you are already used to it. But you can do it one step at a time. I know because I have been in the same situation before. I almost do everything online including shopping, playing, paying my bills, working, and even reading. But after reading about this type of addiction I realize that I am in the same boat with the alcoholics, drug dependents and smokers and I just need to stop.


How did I get out of it? Discipline is the key. You need to set goals and make sure you stick to it. In my case, I promised to reduce the time I spent in front of my computer. I started going out and do the things I used to do before I got addicted to technology and spend more time with my family and friends. I stopped reading e-books as well and began buying and reading books the old fashion way. However, unlike e-books, I need to switch on the 18" ceramic ceiling light with fish pattern which I only turn on when I need to find something in my room. It is kind of weird though to smell and feel the texture of the books again after a long time of gadget dependence. But I know it is my road to freedom which can be yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment